Here are a few tips provided by our friends at
HomeoPet to keep your pet calm and safe during storms:
1. Leave your pets at home and indoors. Most pets are afraid of storms and may
try to run away.
2. Close all doors and windows and put on background music to muffle the sound.
3. Close curtains and blinds to block the lightning.
4. Be sure that your pets are wearing identification tags or have microchips in
case they do run away or get lost.
5. Try to distract your pet with chew toys and games, or play with another pet
that does not share his fear.
6. If you have time, desensitization techniques with appropriate sound CDs, such
as thunder, fireworks, trains, sirens, etc. may help pets get used to the sounds
at a lower volume, then as they become more comfortable, gradually increase the
7. If your pet has storm phobias, speak to your veterinary clinic staff about a
veterinary-only, non-sedating remedy such as
HomeoPet Pro Storm Stress
to keep your pet calm during storm seasons.
Click here to subscribe
to our email newsletter and have great articles like this delivered to your
inbox every month...
The articles and information in the Holistic Healthcare Library are presented for
informational purposes only and are not intended as an endorsement of any product.
The information is not intended to be a substitute for visits to your local veterinarian.
Instead, the content offers the reader information and opinions written by our staff,
guest authors, and/or veterinarians concerning animal health issues and animal care