Sentry Natural Defense Natural Flea & Tick Spray kills fleas, ticks, mosquitoes and other unwanted pests for up to four weeks, yet it’s safe to use on your pets and around your family when applied as directed. Each bottle contains 8 oz. of natural active ingredients such as peppermint oil, cinnamon oil, lemongrass oil, clove oil and thyme oil.
How Does Natural Defense Work?
Certain plants contain compounds that give them the ability to defend themselves against insects. Natural Defense is a synergistic blend of botanical extracts including peppermint oil, cinnamon oil and lemongrass oil. This combination of oils significantly enhances the pesticidal activity of Natural Defense. How? Octopamine!
Octopamine is a key neurotransmitter found in insects, it is the insect's equivalent of adrenaline. It regulates their heart rate, behavior and metabolism. The unique molecular structure targets and blocks octopamine neurotransmitter receptors in insects. Blocking octopamine results in a total breakdown of the insect's central nervous system. As mammals, fish and birds have no receptors for octopamine, the ingredients do not have this affect on them... or people!
Available in 8 oz liquid that comes in a spray bottle.
Review Rating: 2.5
Country of Origin: USA
Peppermint Oil 1.00%
Cinnamon Oil 1.50%
Lemongrass Oil 1.50%
Clove Oil 1.70%
Thyme Oil 1.70%
2-Phenethyl Propionate* 1.70%
* 2-Phenethyl Propionate is a natural botanical extract commonly found in food.
Other Ingredients - Vanillin, Isopropyl Myristate 90.90%
- Lightly spray your pet with the nozzle about 8" to 12" from the pet.
- Start spraying the animal at the tail, making sure to spray the entire coat of the animal, including legs, tail and underbody.
- With you hand, fluff the hair against the way it normally lays to assure that the spray penetrates the coat to the skin.
- Do not saturate the animal. and do not spray in the face, eyes, or genitals.
- Apply once a month or if a severe issue apply no more than every 2 - 3 weeks
- Pets may be treated indoors or outdoors.
- To maintain best protection against fleas and ticks, use this product year around.
- Do not use on pets under the age of 12 weeks.
We have had some reports of reactions in cats such as skin irritation and hair loss after application (see reviews below). We recommend testing the product initially by applying the spray in a small area like the nape of the neck, and waiting 24 hours to evaluate any response before giving your cat a full application of the spray. If you do see an adverse reaction, wash your cat with a shampoo or dishwashing liquid that contains detergents, as this is the most effective way to remove the oils causing the reaction.
While we understand that this product is not perfect since some cats do have an allergic reaction, we do believe it is far safer than the chemical based insecticide products. The long-term use of systemic chemical pesticides often leads to far worse problems than a skin reaction (see The Natural Approach to Flea Control). The number of cats that have a reaction to the Sentry Flea & Tick products is small, and for the majority of cats this product is safe and effective. We choose to continue offering this product because we believe that providing a safer alternative to the chemical pesticides is an important service for those cat owners who prefer to use this type of insect control product.