Smart and caring cat owners know that claws are very important to cats. Claws give the cat a sense of security, knowing that their defense system is intact. They also allow the cat to grasp and hold objects as well as establish footing for walking, running, springing, climbing and stretching. SmartCat scratching products are designed to maximize your cat’s scratching pleasure by providing an appealing target for territorial marking, exercise, and a playful warm-up. By regularly trimming your cat’s nails and offering a suitable scratching item, you are providing a natural outlet for a normal, happy and healthy behavior and you will be rewarded with a satisfied and confident companion.
Why do cats scratch?
- To remove old nail sheaths from the claws
- To exercise and tone muscles
- To relieve stress, frustration and boredom
- To "warm up" for a vigorous play session
- To mark territory
SmartCat Training Tips
- Place the scratcher in a room where the cat spends a lot of time. Cats often like to stretch and scratch when they wake up from a nap.
- To introduce the scratcher to your cat try using catnip as a lure. (For most cats a lure is unnecessary, but fun.) Rub catnip onto the sisal material and call the cat over to the scratcher.
- Scratch your nails along the surface of the material. This will attract the cat and at the same time teach him where to scratch.
- After your cat begins to scratch, praise him and give him a food treat. (Small kittens can be trained to climb the scratcher by showing them food treats and placing it at the top of the scratcher.
- If your cat has already been scratching a piece of furniture, place the scratcher directly in front of it.
- Temporarily cover the previously scratched areas with a few strips of double-sided carpet tape or clear double-sided tape strips that are designed for this purpose. This will help redirect your cat's scratching activities to the scratcher.
Country of Origin: China
Shipping Weight: 5.5
This item will ship separately from other items:
- This item will ship directly from
the manufacturer and arrive separate from other items on your order.
- You will only be able to select UPS
Ground as a shipping method.
- This item is only available for shipment in the United States.
- This item cannot be shipped to a PO Box.
If you are ordering other items that you would like shipped via USPS Postal Service
or an expedited shipping method, we recommend you place a separate order for those items.