According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, one in 10 dogs suffers from poor cardiovascular health. Although some dogs have a genetic predisposition to cardiovascular problems, other factors such as nutritional deficiencies and obesity can certainly contribute.
- Support cardiac muscle function
- Promote oxygen utilization
- Enhance physical stamina
A number of dietary supplements, including coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), vitamin E, L-carnitine, taurine, potassium, and magnesium have generated positive research results in helping to maintain a healthy heart. In addition, various botanical substances can provide cardiac support.
Thorne Research Bio-Cardio combines the antioxidant and cardio-protective qualities of CoQ10 with other cardio-protective nutrients and botanicals. Research on CoQ10 in animals demonstrates it promotes the heart's oxygen utilization and helps maintain a healthy myocardium.
Certain amino acids are essential to cardiac function. Supplementation of taurine for supporting healthy cardiac function in cats has been well established, because unlike humans and dogs, cats do not make taurine. Thus, in the feline population, taurine is considered an essential amino acid. L-carnitine is essential for cellular energy production in the mitochondria and supports muscle metabolism, including the heart muscle. Supplementation has been shown to improve appetite and exercise tolerance in dogs. Dimethylglycine enhances oxygen usage and improves muscle metabolism.
Vitamin E provides essential antioxidant activity in fat-soluble tissues; selenium is a necessary cofactor for glutathione peroxidase. Maintaining a healthy level of antioxidants to balance oxidative stress is essential for all tissues of the body, including the heart.
Magnesium and potassium are essential minerals for healthy cardiac contractility and maintaining already normal heart rhythm; magnesium is essential for regulating vascular smooth muscle tone. Deficiencies of these two minerals often occur concurrently; therefore, it is essential to replete both of them.
Botanicals in Bio-Cardio include Crataegus, Tribulus, and Terminalia, which contribute to healthy heart muscle function, and Eleutherococcus, an adaptogen, which promotes physical stamina.
Available in 120 Capsules.
Review Rating: 5
Country of Origin: USA
Manufacturer: Thorne Research
Shipping Weight: 0.1
L-Carnitine 140 mg
Taurine 140 mg
Desiccated Heart (Bovine) 70 mg
Hawthorn extract (flowering tops) (Crataegus laevigata) 70 mg
Eleuthero extract (root) (Eleutherococcus senticosus) 70 mg
d-Alpha-Tocopheryl (Vitamin E) (70 IU) 58 mg
Dimethylglycine (Hydrochloride) 35 mg
Coenzyme Q-10 20 mg
Arjuna extract (bark) (Terminalia arjuna) 17.5 mg
Tribulus terrestris extract 17.5 mg
Magnesium (Citrate-Malate) 500 mcg
Potassium (Citrate-Malate) 100 mcg
Selenium (Picolinate) 7 mcg
Inactive Ingredients - Hypromellose (derived from cellulose) capsule, Leucine, Natural bacon flavoring, Silicon Dioxide
For Cats (all): 1/2 capsule daily
For Dogs (all): 1 capsule per 25 lbs of body weight daily
- Ingredients in this product have not been adequately tested for use in pregnancy or lactation.
- If animal is pregnant, lactating, or might become pregnant while taking this product, consult your veterinarian before using. Safe use in pregnant animals or animals intended for breeding has not been proven.
- If animal's condition worsens or does not improve, stop product administration and consult your veterinarian.
- Federal law prohibits the off-label use of this product in ruminants.
- May be contraindicated in subjects with hypertension and anxiety.
- May be hypoglycemic.
- Not recommended for long term use.
- For animal use only - Keep out of the reach of children and other animals.
- In case of accidental overdose, contact a health professional immediately.