by Only Natural Pet Staff in Cooperation with Dr. Jean Hofve, DVM
1. Reservation Required: When making your own airline reservation, be sure to
also make a reservation for your pet. Typically, only 2 pets are allowed in the
cabin per flight. Pets are not permitted in the cabin on international flights,
or flights to Hawaii.
2. Pet's Don't Fly Free: In-cabin fees are typically $75 and up per pet each
3. Approved Pet Carrier: Typical dimensions are: 17"L X 12.5"W X 8"H; pet +
carrier can typically weigh no more than 20 pounds. Fabric carriers are
a great choice for in-cabin travel, since their shape is somewhat flexible.
4. Health Certificate: Most states and airlines require a health certificate
issued within 10 to 30 days of travel by an accredited veterinarian, who must
physically examine the animal. Contact your airline and destination state for
5. Vaccinations: Rules vary in different states as well as airlines, but a
current rabies vaccine is usually required. The health certificate will
typically list recent vaccinations.
6. Water, Food, Snacks: All of their favorite goodies are fine to bring on
flights, but sometimes stress will suppress a pet’s appetite. But water is key;
especially because air travel is dehydrating. Bring a collapsible travel bowl so you can offer your
7. Anxiety/Stress Remedies: There are many excellent holistic products that can
help relax your anxious pet, such as pheromones, flower essences, herbs, and
Virgin America Airlines:
Return to the Holistic Healthcare Library search results
Start a new Holistic Healthcare Library search
Subscribe to our email newsletter and have great articles like this delivered to your
inbox every month...
The articles and information in the Holistic Healthcare Library are presented for
informational purposes only and are not intended as an endorsement of any product.
The information is not intended to be a substitute for visits to your local veterinarian.
Instead, the content offers the reader information and opinions written by our staff,
guest authors, and/or veterinarians concerning animal health issues and animal care
Only Natural Pet LLC - All Rights Reserved
We always offer you the lowest of the sale price, the price with a coupon code discount, or the Auto Delivery price. You can tell which one applies because it will say "Sale Savings:" if the item is on sale and that is the lowest price, "Coupon Savings:" if you have applied a coupon code discount and that is the lowest price, or "Auto Delivery Savings:" if you selected Auto Delivery and that is the lowest price.