The health and nutritional benefits that can be derived from consuming coconut oil have been recognized in many parts of the world for centuries. Nutiva Virgin Coconut Oil is the richest natural source of Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs).
Fed to pets it may have multiple benefits including
- Improves digestion and nutrient absorption
- Helps control body and breath odor
- Aids in elimination of hairballs and coughing
- Aids healing of digestive disorders like inflammatory bowel syndrome and colitis
- Contains powerful antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal agents that prevent infection and disease
- Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections, including candida
- Promotes normal thyroid function
- Helps prevent or control diabetes
- Aids in arthritis relief
- Reduces allergic reactions
- Improves skin health and hair condition
- Disinfects cuts and promotes wound healing
- As an antioxidant, it is 50 times more potent than Vitamin E, 15 times more potent than carrots, and 300 times more potent than tomatoes.
Most of coconut oil’s health benefits come from medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs), also known as medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). According to former University of Maryland biochemist and dietary fats researcher Mary Enig, PhD, “The lauric acid in coconut oil is used by the body to make the same disease-fighting fatty acid derivative monolaurin that babies make from the lauric acid they get from their mothers’ milk. The monoglyceride monolaurin is the substance that keeps infants from getting viral, bacterial, or protozoal infections.”
Coconut oil’s capric and caprylic acid have similar properties and are best known for their antifungal effects. Like lauric acid, capric acid helps balance insulin levels.
In addition to protecting the body against infection, medium-chain fatty acids are efficiently metabolized to provide an immediate source of fuel and energy, enhancing athletic performance and aiding weight loss.
Available in 15 oz (approximately 30 tbsp) and 29 oz liquid (approximately 59 tbsp).
Review Rating: 4.5
Ingredients - Organic, unrefined, cold-pressed, extra-virgin coconut oil
*Bottled in a facility that also packs peanut oil.
Please Note: This is a human supplement, not one designed specifically for pets; however, it is completely safe and effective for use on your pet. Our holistic veterinarian has reviewed and recommended the following usage instructions:
- Solid or liquid coconut oil can be added to food at any meal or given between meals. To liquefy gently warm the oil.
- Begin with a lower dose of 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon per 10 lbs of body weight.
- Gradually increase dosage over a week to 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight daily, or 1 tablespoon per 30 pounds. These are general guidelines, as some dogs need less and others more.
- Coconut oil can also be applied topically to cuts, wounds, infected ears, fungal infections, bites and stings .