My cat, Jenny, has a tumor by her lung. The x-ray was sent out to a radiologist to read and he believes it is cancer. They suggest I put her down. The vet I go to doesn't specialize in treatment, et cetera. Jenny doesn't seem to be in any pain and seems happy. I would never put her down unless I saw her suffering and I have exhausted all avenues of treatment. I just started giving her flax seed oil in her food and she seems to breathe better. I can tell how she's breathing by watching the little black heart marking on her fur. She's a calico. If you could give me any information of herbs to try, et cetera, to reduce the tumor or help this problem, I would greatly appreciate it. They don't even know what kind of cancer it is. They're just using the word "cancer."
Hello, Thank you for visiting Only Natural Pet Store. We are sorry you are facing such a tough diagnosis with your cat. We can give you Dr. Siegler's general recommendations for immune boosting supplements, but for a thorough cancer fighting protocol we recommend that you contact a holistic veterinarian. Here are some basic suggestions:
- Diet is the foundation of good health and this is the most important thing you can do for your cat. A home-prepared diet is best (following recipes to insure complete nutrition). You may want to read our articles, “What You Need to Know About Your Pet's Food,” and “All About Raw Food” in our Articles section.Many guardians of finicky cats have had great success in using the freeze-dried treats byOnly Natural Pet, Halo andWhole Life crumbled over the food to entice them to eat canned or raw food when they are transitioning from dry food to a healthier food.
- Select ONE of the following immune support supplements:Only Natural Pet Immune Strengthener is a powerful immune support complex that includes medicinal mushrooms, antioxidants and Cat’s Claw along with other herbs to help with chronic disease and cancer.ORCAS Options by Genesis Resources is an immune building supplement that includes mushrooms and antioxidants that have been shown to boost the immune system.
In addition to the immune support supplement provide a good antioxidant complex such as Seven Forest’s Quercenol. NOTE: Antioxidants are controversial with some oncologists, so check with yours before ordering.
Cellular health supplements, like Cellular Forte by Integrative Therapeutics are great for supporting cellular health and maintaining immunity and can be given in addition to the others.
- Herbal formulas can be very helpful. Only Natural Pet B.S.S.T. Herbal Formula is based on the widely used Essiac Formula that has been shown to be helpful in many types of cancer.
- Consider adding 4-Life Transfer Factor, a powerful immune support formula, to your cat’s diet.
- Cellular health supplements like,Feline Immune Support Formula by Genesis Resources is another good nutritional supplement to help build the immune system. It is in capsule form so they can be opened and mixed in with canned or moistened dry food.
Additionally, here is a link to theAmerican Holistic Veterinary Medical Association's website to locate a holistic veterinarian in your area. If you cannot find a holistic veterinarian within reasonable driving distance of your home, many of them do phone consultations.
This list includes quite a few supplements, so please keep in mind that any supplements chosen should be added one at a time - each increased gradually over several days to watch for any reaction. Quality of life is an important factor, so if it becomes a struggle to get the any of the supplements administered to your cat, then it may be wise to reconsider their use.
If we can be of any further assistance, please feel free to call or email again.